Showalter’s Custom Deer Processing
Need to drop off a deer AFTER HOURS?
Text us at
Quick Facts about deer drop-off
- No appointment necessary to drop off a deer during normal business hours (8-5 Mon-Fri & 8-4 Sat) Eastern Time
- we are TOTALLY CLOSED on SUNDAY (if you get a deer on Sunday, perhaps you could put it on ice and bring it in on Monday)
- AFTER HOURS deer drop off info: If you need to drop off a deer after normal business hours simply text or call 606 706 5499.
- must have confirmation number to drop off deer – for more info about how to get that, click here: https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Recording,-Checking,-Tagging-and-Transporting.aspx
- during modern gun season we are open for deer drop off from 8am till 9pm eastern time, Monday thru Saturday.
- Rush Order: $75 rush order fee if you need your deer done within 24 hours (excluding Sunday) Certain specialty options may not always be available in that time frame
- Deadline: We do not accept deer meat for processing after February 1st — until Archery Season opens in the fall. Special exceptions apply, but be aware that processing costs will be $1.00 per lb higher than normal.
Ky Deer Hunting Season 2020-2021
|Deer||Early Season||Late Season|
|Archery||Sept. 5, 2020 – Jan. 18, 2021|
|Crossbow||Sept. 19, 2020 – Jan. 18, 2021|
|Youth-only Gun||Oct. 10-11, 2020|
|Muzzleloader||Oct. 17-18, 2020||Dec. 12-20, 2020|
|Modern Gun||Nov. 14 – Nov. 29, 2020|
|Free Youth Weekend||Dec. 26-27, 2020|
For most up to date info on deer season dates click here.
Showalter’s Country Meats is happy to provide professional custom deer processing. Simply bring us a deer you’ve harvested and we’ll turn it into everything from roasts and hamburger to spicy jalapeno snack stix or savory summer sausage. We take your instructions on cuts and packaging seriously, and are committed to meeting your exact specifications to the best of our ability every time.
Below you’ll find information about our rates and policies, a deer processing form you can download and print out, as well as information about how we’ll process your deer, and what we need you to do before we can do our part.
If you have any questions about our deer processing services, please Contact Us.
Want to Donate your deer to feed the hungry?
We process deer for two organizations that both help feed the hungry:
Hunters With a Heart
Kentucky Hunters for the Hungry
▲Click on either link above to Learn More▲
Deer Processing Rates
Cooler prep: $20
Deer processing: $0.75 per pound rail weight (includes burger, steaks, and roasts)
Cape Removal for mounting: $20
Venison Breakfast Sausage $1 per lb (20 lb minimum)
Adding Fat to your deer burger $7 — you can choose pork or beef fat.
Packaging: We vacuum pack the steaks and roasts and package the burger and breakfast sausage in burger chubs/ burger bags. See photo on right.
Packaging Color Key: Venison Burger will be in Camo chubs, while venison breakfast sausage will be in black and white chubs. On the venison breakfast sausage, the tie at the top of the tube indicates the type of sausage it is. Red tie indicates hot sausage. Yellow tie indicates medium sausage. Blue tie indicates mild sausage. Green indicates Extra Sage Sausage.
- Please Bring you deer to us field dressed.
- Please do NOT skin your deer. When this is done in the field the meat often ends up dirty. (unless you want to bring in the deer already quartered-out or as totally deboned meat)
- If you want us to cape your buck for a mount, we will normally skin it out for you right away so you can take the cape with you as you leave.
Policies for bringing in your deboned deer meat
1. Must be this seasons deer
2. Must be totally deboned (unless you bring in quartered out)
3. Must be thoroughly cleaned of all dirt & hair
4. Must be unfrozen
5. Must not be ground
6. Charges will apply if these conditions are not met
Specialty Deer Products
(Click an image for a larger version)
Try our Venison / Deer bacon!
Don’t miss out on some of our other delectable deer treats!
Venison Specialties Options
Plain Venison Summer Sausage (no cheese) $2.65/LB
Cheddar Venison Summer Sausage $3.00/LB
Pepper Jack Venison Summer Sausage $3.00/LB
Jalapeno Pepper Jack Venison Summer Sausage $3.10/LB
Pepper Jack Venison Salami $3.00/LB
Venison Hunter’s Bologna $2.65/LB
Miscellaneous Venison Specialties
Original Venison Bacon $3.75/LB
Apple Venison Bacon $4.75/LB
Venison Hot-dogs $3.75/LB
Cheddar Venison Hot-dogs $4.25/LB
Venison Snack Stix
BBQ Venison Stix $4.80/LB
Spicy Cheesy Venison Stix $4.80/LB
Cajun Venison Stix $4.80/LB
Jalapeno Cheddar Venison Stix $4.80/LB
Traditional Venison Stix $4.80/LB
Teriyaki Venison Stix $4.80/LB
Cajun Venison Bratwursts $3.30/LB
Pineapple Venison Bratwursts $3.30/LB
Cheddar Jalapeno Venison Bratwursts $3.50/LB
Bacon Cheddar Venison Bratwursts $3.50/LB
Pepper Jack Venison Bratwursts $3.50/LB
Mango-Habanero Venison Bratwursts $3.30/LB
Whole Muscle Venison Jerky (old fashioned) $6.99/LB
Original Venison Jerky $6.99/LB
Cajun Venison Jerky $6.99/LB
BBQ Venison Jerky $6.99/LB
Chipotle Venison Jerky $6.99/LB
Black Pepper Venison Jerky $6.99/LB
Fresh Sliced Jerky $2.50/LB
What is involved in getting us to process your deer?
After you successfully bag your game, bring your deer and it’s confirmation number to us for processing. At our front desk you can tell us how you want your deer butchered and what products you want out of it (roasts, burger, sausage, snack stix, etc). If you’re not sure how you want your deer processed, we’ll be happy to guide you through the options.
Once the paperwork is done, you will be given a tag with your name. Because the animal you bring in is the meat you take home*, this tag helps us ensure your deer remains your deer the whole way through processing. Simply give this tag to the guys who unload your deer when you pull around to the side garage door – they’ll take care of the rest.
*This does not include your specialty meat options such as summer sausages, bratwursts, bacon, etc.
If you harvested a buck but don’t want it caped out to be mounted, you can get the guys at the garage door to remove the antlers for you on the spot. Take those antlers home with you, right away. If you do want your buck caped out for a mount, no problem, just let the office guys know when they are doing your paperwork, then when you drop off the deer wait around for a few extra minutes so you can take the cape home with you right away. That way you have your buck’s cape to take home the same day and for us there will be a lot less for us to keep track of.
That is all you need to worry about – except of course to come back and pick up your delicious venison products when we have it finished!
Now the process of turning that big buck you bagged into lean steaks and tasty treats begins. We start by skinning your animal and cleaning it.
After your deer is skinned and washed down, we get it hanging in our cooler until it’s ready to be turned into whatever combination of burger, venison roasts, deer steaks, sausages, etc. that you specified earlier. We then package and label your deer meat and bring it to our freezer. Then we’ll give you a call to let you know that your venison is ready to be picked up. Normally it will be about 3-10 days from when you drop off a deer till the we have it ready for you to come get it.
Because freezer space is in high demand during deer season, we kindly ask that you make sure to pick up your meat within 3 days of us letting you know it’s ready.
For Youth Hunting, Black Powder, and Modern gun season we are available for drop off from 8am till about 9pm.